Friday, 5 June 2015

11 June Yr 2 Summer Show Plan - Grant



2nd Year Show 11th June 2015 Stage Plan



Equipment List


MAIN STAGE

HK Audio Actor PA System
I have chosen the HK audio Actor PA stack for the main stage because this particular stack has a great full range response. This PA has great features that cater for all kinds of set ups depending if you are using all 3 speakers in the stack or just the top. You can adjust the cross over from full range or to ‘Satellite’ This will send everything from 110Hz and below to the subs to only handle those lower frequencies. I could have gone for the small Bose system as this would handle all the signals in the same way, it would be massively lighter to move and easier to set up but it wouldn't carry or produce a sound that was fulfilling enough to the room that the event is in.

HK Audio Dart Monitor Active X6
I have chosen to use the these actor monitors because they are active monitors which means the amp is inside them and can be powered from mains on stage. I chose the set up over using passive monitors because routing them all through an amp is just more complex and can be more confusing. I have also decided to use all the same monitors because I feel that they look better on stage.

Yamaha LS9 32 Channel Digital Mixer
24 Channel Recorder

For the Main Stage I have decided to use the Yamaha LS9 32 Channel Digital Mixer because using the digital system have many pros over using a analogue desk. Firstly its very compact and everything is internal. There is no need to run out board gear in this situation because the desk has a range of plugins built in that can be used for reverb, EQ compression etc. Another good reason for this choice was that all my levels can be saved and as this show contains lots of different acts I can get all my levels set including monitor levels and effects set up and then save that and reprogram for the next performance. You cant do this with analogue. A reason that you might choose analogue over digital is that if there is a power problem or something does down when it starts up the analogue desk will go right back to where it was but the digital desk has to start up and will make a few moments to go back to where you were potentially spoiling the show.

24 Channel Recorder
I have chosen to record the show using the 24 channel audio recorder. I chose this for its reliability. This device is dedicated to recording audio and will do that until its hearts content. The alternative for a full track for track recording would be to record out to a laptop and this can be a very unreliable way to record audio as laptops are known for crashing and can greenly be a risky way to record a live show.

Microphones:

SM58 x 5
I have chosen to use the SM58’s for the vocals as this microphone is a very reliably and sturdy dynamic microphone that has a cardioid polar pattern and a great frequency response. I could have gone for a SM7b but I felt that although I prefer the sound of the SM7b its grill is not as strong as the 58 and wouldn't use this for a live gig when it might not live up to the abuse it might get on stage. Also its not as ergonomic as the 58 as it doesn't have a place to hold it. I also could have used a AKG 414. A lovely microphone for the vocal but because its a condenser and designed to capture a bigger area its not idea for live use as you would pick up a lot of the other band members and would be prone to feedback. 


Audix D6 x1
I have deiced to use the D6 on the kick drum because its got great shielding and a good low frequency response. I have used other microphones for a live gig on the kick but a dynamic with good low response is always the best choice like the D6. The reason I chose this over the AKG D112 or the Shure PG52 is because of the other microphones I am using on the drums. They are all Audix from the same family and the tone will be consistent.

SM57 x1

I chose the SM57 on the snare because this microphone is very good at containing the snare sound and also because very consistent. It was the only one I decided to use instead of the Audix microphones because i think it sounds better than the D2. It has a really great frequency response and is rigid and strong and can take a few hits.

Audix D2 x2

I went for the D2’s on the rack toms as they will capture the tone of the toms as well a good attack. They are good for live sound because they are dynamic and will keep out a lot of the other drums because of the cardioid polar pattern. 
I then decided to put the D4 on the floor toms to capture a bit more  low end punch. Another alternative for this could have been the Sennheiser MD421. The 421 is probably a nice microphone but I wanted to try and use all Audix microphones. Also I have used the 421 on the bass amps.
Audix D4 x1

Rode NT55 x 2 (Stereo Pair)
These are for the overheads but mainly for the recording purpose. I probably wont use these in the mix that much because the drums and cymbals are already really loud but for recording purposes the drums will sound very empty without the cymbals. I have gone for these for the stereo pair as well as the clear and flat sound that the capture.


Sennheiser MD421 x 1

I have chosen to use the Sennheiser MD421 on the bass amp as well as DIing the amp because this microphone although being a dynamic has great response to the low end which is why its also really great on the toms of the drums. I wanted to add this to the DI sound to get a really good full bass tone and having the choice of amp and DI gives you so much control. I think that this was a better choice over the Sennheiser e609 which is great for amps but this microphone doesn't deliver in the low end enough to use it for a bass amp.

Sennheiser e609 x 1

For the guitar amp I have picked the Sennheiser e609 this microphone is really great for guitar amps because if its frequency response and polar pattern but the shape is also designed to be able to hang in front of the guitar amps and be easily positioned around the cone. My other choice for this was a SM57 and they are both great for guitar amps and its hard to pick one but I ended up choosing this because its sound suits the guitar tones that they will be using during the gig. Also there will be several guitarist with slightly different styles so it needed to be one that could cater for all.

Rode NT5 x 2 (Stereo)

Ive picked the Rode NT5 stereo pair for the recording I wanted to capture a nice clean stereo image of the ambient sound in the room. These will just go straight to the recording as theres no  need to put this back thought the main PA. I chose these over the AKG 414 because they are easier to mount nicely but mainly the sound of the NT5’s are more sensitive to the high end and a little crisper to capture the room and also the audience.


DI BOX x 7

I will be using 7 DI boxes to convert several instrument and line level signals to microphone level signals to match the input on the stage box so they all match up at the desk. This allows all the channels to be XLR and makes things so much simpler. The does take line signals but its much easier to have everything at microphone level when you start to prevent confusion.

Red x 4
Green x 2
Blue x 1

Microphone Stands x 14
Microphone Stand Small x3

Stage Box 32x8

This 32 by 8 stage box will be used to run all the audio signals too and from the main stage to the desk. I have decided to use this instead of 40 individual cables because this will be much easier to manage where all the cables are in one big one. Also they are numbered. It looks much neater and is much safer than having 40 cables running from one end of the room to the other. 

Stage Box 6x2(Jack)

I will also be using another smaller stage box. This is just for the lead vox and the front of the stage and to prevent having to run cables accord the walk ways and where the musicians will be this makes it much neater and safer.

Cables on Stage:
XLR x 17 (3m)
PHONO x 2


PA Cables
ADAT x 3
Speakon x
PowerCon x2
XLR x 2



THE OTHER STAGE



HK Audio Premium PR:O Set 15A/18A


HK Monitors x2

Monitor speaker x1
Amp x2
Mackie Desk
Reverb
Graphic EQ


Acoustic Guitar
E.Piano
Bass Amp

Microphones:

SM58 x3

Shure Super 55 x1
Bud Microphones x 2

DI x4

Microphone Stands x 4



A list of all the non performing rolls in order to make the event run Smoothly.

For this event to run smoothly there are a few roles that need to be taken care of. 

Engineers - I think as we are running two stages for these shows it would be a really good idea that there is 1 person engineering each stage. This means you won't get distracted with one and miss the band walking onto the other stage and you haven't seen them. This will make the bands life easier as well as ours.

I also think that we should have at least 1 person manning each stage as stage hands. Ready to make changes as needed. Communication via the cans is important so the engineers and stage hands can communicate. Also this is a really good way that we make change overs as smooth as possible. Stage hands can help set the stage up for the next act to save the bands doing it. Each stage hands can have printed document that shows the set up needed for each song being performed. Someone to be available at all times is very useful.

If these roles are fulfilled the shows should be a success.


Pre Show -



BLOCK DIAGRAM (MAIN)

BLOCK DIAGRAM (THE OTHER STAGE)

CHANNEL LIST

STAGE PLAN + POWER (MAIN)

STAGE PLAN + POWER (THE OTHER STAGE)

STAGING PLOT MAIN STAGE

STAGING PLOT THE OTHER STAGE









No comments:

Post a Comment