This first sound is a sampled sounds creation. I created this sound by taking a section of a guitar recording where I was able to chop out two chords from the audio. I bounced the two chords back into the project as there own separate WAV files.I then created a new software instrument track and open the EXS24 instrument. Then selecting 'Edit' making sure 'Advanced Editing' was selected in preferences. I can then open up my two guitar chords in as new zones and assign them to a particular key. As I labeled the track when bouncing them with the chord/note they were playing Logic has assigned it to the correct key for me. Now I can save the instrument and open it up in the EXS24 and now play the guitar samples across the whole mini controller. This is a great sampling track as it allows you to take any sound from a keyboard that you have made or a synth you have sampled, it could be anything and this allows you to play it as your own freely in logic as a new instrument. I can now go on and manipulate this sound further adding EQ and other plugins to take this further.
2. Real Drums Samples
I decided to make a drum instrument using the same method as the guitar. Every time I record drums live I like to make sure that I sample the whole kit playing each part of the drums individually. I then take this recording in Logic and chop out the best sample from the snare top and bottom, kick, toms and hi hats. I then bounced these in place. This time I don't need to label it as I want the drums on specific keys. I then open up a new ESX24 instrument and place the files into the new zones. Now I can pick and choose where they can be played on the keyboard. I can add to this as much as I want but now I have the option to play the drums bake that I had in the studio as midi.
You can take this another step further. If you take several samples of the drum, for example the snare. If I had 5 different velocities of the snare sound, soft to hard I could layer them onto he same key and then choose a cross over where anything about or below triggers a different sample depending on how hard you hit the key. This is another way to make the drums a more realistic set of samples.![]() |
| You can select your custom instrument inside ESX24 |
3. Guitar Delay/Reverse
To make this sound I used a picture of synthesis and sampling in a sort of resampling method. I used a single note used straight out of the ESX24 and then applied a guitar amp plug-in to give the delayed sound. I then bounced this sound in place and then repeated the same process and before adding it to the ESX24 and creating a new instrument. I then saved this as a new instrument and clicked the reverse box. I now have a guitar sound that is normal and one that it reversed I can use these in different ways to create cool sounds. This is a different way of creating the sounds for my track using sampling and synthesis together.4. Siren Synth
This is the first sound that I have made that is just using synthesis. To make this sound I have used the LFO in the EXS24 to shape the sound and make it work the way I want. To the right you can see the LFO that I have used. This it saying that the Pitch with be controlled via 'Ctrl #1' by LFO 2 and will change by the amount that the green bar is set too. How frequently the pitch changes is determined by the LFO picture below which you can see LFO 2 is set too 1/4 which means it flux up and down 1 time every quarter note. this matches my song. You can also set it the other way for a custom time if you don't want it to match you track.

5. Woah Pad
For this pad I decided to use a different synth. I used the ESP synth. To make this 'woah' sound I used the balancing on the wave types and the ADSR envelope mainly to create the sound. I had the attack and sustain in the middle ad the release just short of central but I put the release quite high to give it some bite rather than dropping and releasing really quickly because the release was low. I kept the frequency low and resonance about 10 o'clock so it gives it that fuzz but not so its completely taking over. This synth is really great for pads and basses and because of the fewer buttons its easier to work on the envelopes and wave types to really get the tone you are looking for.
6. Glam Pad Bells
This next sound I have made is using yet another synth instrument inside logic. This time its Sculpture. Unlike the ESP with very minimal features this had many features used in modelling synthesis. To create this tone its mainly down to the position that I have placed the balls in the central 'Material' box. This is where you can define your material for how your sound with compare to. I have gone somewhere between glass and steel. To the right side of this box we have the EQ, the envelope and delay which I have used to create this sound. The delay had come from just a very basic, fairly slow delay but it sustains through which is what I like had that electric piano feel coming back. Then for the envelope I wanted the attack short so it didn't feel like a slow pad but I kept the decay and release fairly long to maintain the piano decay. The EQ I decided to boost the low and cut the high because I didn't like the harshness that the glass tone was giving and this seamed to lessen it for me without loosing too much of the tone I wanted originally.
7. Vibraphone
The vibraphone sound is also made on the Sculpture synth. I have chosen to make this more of a wooden sound like a vibraphone with quite a sharp short attack and sustain. I didn't do to much to this sound as I liked how plain it was after the envelope. This was really good for the melody as its short sound can be played in melodic way over the bass synth and drums. Its also really good to layer up harmony too.
8. Nylon/Steel Bass
I again used the Sculpture to make this sound. Firstly I picked my material which was a steel/nylon mix. This is the sound I wanted for this bass tone. Almost like a slap bass guitar. I then played around with 'Object 1' this is what gave the playing style as I went for picked this gave the guitar sound to it as it sound like it being picked.
On the envelope I made the attack short and the decay and release family long and high. I found this gave me the most realistic note length for the bass also making it sound synthesised as well. I also changed the wave type to tube to create the distorted bass tone that really make it sound like a guitar though an amp. I then played around with the EQ and boosted the lows a little and the highs too. This is what made my bass tone. The notes were also being played quite fast so I wanted something that would make them defined.
9. Glide Pad
I now have the glide pad bass. This was a really nice pad sound very simple and just good for general melodies and chords. I then added the all important glide. This is where the synth starts a bit flat of your note and glides to the correct note that you are playing resulting in a cool unique pad sound great for held chords. I used the ESX24 to make this sound. I just played around with the ADSR envelope to get the pad sound then used the glide just a little to create the desired effect.
10.







No comments:
Post a Comment