Tuesday, 25 March 2014

Review of Gig 25-03-14

Performance Review

Todays show consisted of the Level 3 performing students. In particular I am reviewing one  performance that I felt stood out and was a great all round performance and showed great showmanship skill throughout. As a whole the performing has improved massively from the last time we watched the performers in the later part of 2013.

The performances that I am reviewing is 'It's My Life' by Talk Talk. The performers that covered this song did a great job. I know this song very well and it was nice to see it covered with such energy and enthusiasm.  All of the synthesiser and keyboard sounds were very close to the original sound and the groove in which the whole band played together really worked well. The vocal harmonies you could tell were very well rehearsed and performed tightly and accurately on the day. I thought the bass line and the drums were tight together which they should be in any band. This meant the whole songs structure was nice and consistent and held the piece together and kept the groove bouncing along.

The sound mix of the performance wasn't spot on for me. This may have been because I was sitting slightly off centre and more to the right but I felt that the vocals were much too quiet in comparison to the band and the bass more importantly which was quite out of proportion to the rest of the band. The vocals are supposed to be the main focus of the songs that were performed today, not necessarily 'It's My Life' but the other songs were performed were highly vocal and they did not cut through the mix to well as they could have. Having said that I think that the entire mix could have be louder as the PA system is more than capable of producing a large band sound this would have been a little threatening to the ear drums but it would have given the performers and the sonic elements to the show some more life that you can all feed off in the band to really put on a great show.

Overall I thought that the performance was really really inspiring and that the performers showed a great number of skills while performing to keep the song interesting as well as being accurate with what they are playing. The song was full of energy as it should have been and they performers looked like they were enjoying themselves which I felt lacked in a few of the other songs but none the less a great all round show.

No comments:

Post a Comment